U/Crime Victim Visas

Suffering a traumatic incident such as being a victim of a crime, trafficking or surviving domestic violence can be devastating.  It is our goal to help you and your family turn a traumatic event into something positive by obtaining legal status in the United States.

If you or your family members have been a victim of certain serious crimes, you may be eligible for a nonimmigrant U visa. This visa gives the individual temporary legal status and makes him or her eligible to work while in the United States, for up to four years. After three years the visa holder can apply for permanent residence. A U visa applicant can also apply for visas for certain qualifying relatives, such as spouses and children. In order to qualify, an applicant must have suffered substantial harm as a result of a qualifying crime, and been helpful in the investigation or prosecution of the crime. A critical part of the U visa application is obtaining certification from either the police or a prosecutor that the applicant

Survivors of domestic violence who are (or were) married to a permanent resident or a U.S. citizen may apply for residency under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). The applicant must show that they were married in good faith, jointly resided with the abuser, and suffered abuse or extreme cruelty during the relationship. As VAWA applications are ones for residency, many of the same requirements apply as with family-based residency applications. VAWA applicants, however, may qualify for certain exceptions to admission and admissibility requirements. Our office has experience in all types of VAWA applications, including those made by men and LGBTQIA+ clients. 

We help assess, based on your individual circumstances, what option is best for you and guide you through the application process.